Carpe diem,
Spooktac!
Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday
20 October 2014
3.50pm

I'm in Suzy Style's class now listening to a video on Synaesthesia but still feeling hungover from the Spooktacular weekend I spent with a couple of the old psych camp friends. It was my first Halloween event ever and I must say it went better than I expected. There were obviously queues but they weren't atrociously long. Time passed by well just by talking to each other about every random thing under the sun. The floating terrors were also pretty entertaining with their surprise visits! They would even follow you to toilets and wait for you to finish your business outside! :/ If you disturbed them, you may get more than you bargain for~~

The adventurous gang minus Mira who left earlier.

The haunted houses were modelled after iconic Thai horror films and were fairly spooky with excellent sets and make up, especially the first one we visited: The Swimmers. Excellent concept and scares. I just didn't like the overpowering latex smell at one point when we were squeezing through modelled internal organs. It was like a morbid version of those balloon castles kids bounce on in carnivals.

The last house modelled after Countdown was not exactly horrifying but had the coolest illusionist concept ever. Designed with neon paint and optical illusions, put on their 3D spectacles and instantly enter a world of druggie hallucinations. It did start with what seemed like a prison area though, with crazy looking inmates clamouring at our feet. Only served to remind me of Philip Zimbardo and his Stanford Prison study.

The one we visited in the middle was neither scary nor cool, just a very good set and make up. Scares were... tolerable ! We caught a snippet of the movie it was modelled after (Alone) while getting food at the food street though. It seemed rather interesting. Looks like something I might want to watch. May be when the semester ends and I free up pockets of time from FYP prep!

My favourite ghost(s) was a gang of Malay hantus, one dragging tin cans by his ankles, one with a butchering knife and one with this long thick bamboo(?) rod. My subjective interpretation of them is a bunch of kampong matreps who died playing bola tin and other weird games. Die also cannot let go of their toys, haiyah. It was on hindsight that I realised the hantu with the huge bamboo rod was the one who ran up behind me and scared me to tears when I just entered the site and was still struggling with adapting to the atmosphere.

Here's a picture with my favourite gang after I unfortunately attracted their attention. Long story short, they were walking by while saying "umbrella, umbrella" (god knows why). It was getting late and I must have been under some sort of sleepless-high because out of boredom I went "ella, eh eh", loud enough for them to give us a ghostly head turn. Oops.


Because the event ended past midnight we just stayed out at Macs and random sits and entertained ourselves through the night with the game Munchkins! Interesting but it was tiring cos we all never played it before. We ended up spending more time figuring out what the rules and procedures were than really playing it! It was a refreshing night amidst all this studying :)

In other news, I have a Malay CA test to sit for next week. Working on the textbook independently hasn't been too hard but a test without translation devices or a dictionary... I don't know yet~
Saya takut T.T

squeaked.
4:00 PM
0 comments

Sharman LAI
26 October 1992

Juying Primary School
River Valley High School
NTU Psychology

I run, I sing, I write.

-


Love, and you will be loved.
Sharman
Squeak along

Exits
Jhosy; Kevin; Li Ting; Lynette; MinEe; RVNPS307; SinYee; WenYi; YunRou;
Archives

blogger counter
visits since 08.01.10