E.T.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Wednesday
17 September 2014
11.30pm
I hereby declare Mira, Zhong Hao and I E.T., the Existential Trio. There is this force field that forms when we come together to draw us into deep conversations about our inner thoughts and tendencies - every time.
We met up after our classes and meetings today as planned to have a good meal with Zhong Hao as some form of birthday celebration. Daryl couldn't make it since he had an investiture on so we planned to have a simple fare at Jurong Point.
On the bus trip there we were updating each other on where we've gotten to so far on our FYP, mostly me to Zhong Hao since I haven't seen him in a while. By now you'd know it's a topic I'm so reluctant to get on, leading to confessions about how lousy and ineffective I've been feeling. Can you already see where this will lead; how a simple "how are you?" could lead us down the abyss of psychological analysis and intervention? We dismissed it a couple of times by discussing our dinner options but we all kept those thoughts at the back of our minds.
At JP, we plopped down at Thai Express and... let's just say it was a fare-turned-feast. Mira realised she wanted everything on the menu, I was starving and well, Zhong Hao just had to comply. We ended up with 3 mains and a phat thai, tom yam soup and chendol to share. *inserts pig face* Throughout dinner though, were intellectual exchanges of questions surrounding very intimate and deep topics like our experiences as we grew up, our greatest insecurities and their possible causal relationship. How these experiences have shaped who we are today was also a topic that got us thinking amongst many other deviations. There's never a quiet dinner with these two and while the topics may sound dry and intrusive on text, it really is very liberating being able to reflect on your life and be so honest about it to someone. DSMZ (no D-arly today though) always has this power to make me think about and understand myself better.
Perhaps it's really true what Mira said: "I think learning Psychology has made me more honest with myself". Knowledge of great theories and fine introspection techniques has allowed us to see ourselves better from different perspectives and admit to our flaws, not ignore or deny them. While we may not have entirely corrected or embraced these flaws, we are better able to cope with them.
It was a short evening but a very fruitful one with these two. Talking it out I really felt a lot better by the end of the day and I believe I'll be able to sleep well tonight, after a call with Spencer that is, like NOW!
Ending this post with a group E.T. photo. Not even smiling properly but WHUTEVA ^^
squeaked.
11:32 PM
0 comments




