Carpe diem,
Back to My Teacher Days
Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday
22 July 2014
9.20pm
I only remember waking up to a steaming hot house.

It's late and I'm on 185 home after a long day of teaching. I left home at 10.15am in the morning to head to school for a meeting with the research gang, then fleeted to work at 1.17pm, only stopping to get a thirst quenching drink (which I clumsily dropped right before the stall while keeping my wallet). I was left miserable with 1/3 of what I paid for but who can I blame for my own mistake? AHA.

The next 4 hours were spent supervising a bunch of little terrors. As Sylvia aptly put, these P3 and 4s really behave worse than P1 and 2s. It's been a long time since I had to raise my voice in anger but teaching these classes bring out the rage in me with ease. The last 3 hours were so much more bearable, teaching little kids and managing small classes of younger children. Jieren, who has just joined us, on the other hand claims to be dying in the hands of the littler ones. He says he wished he was teaching the older kids instead but I'm quite sure he'll regret he ever made that statement HAHA!

Right now I'm watching a student of mine work on a CA2 paper I handed out in class on a moving bus. The amount of effort he puts in to find his balance on a moving vehicle, find a flat surface to write on and brush off his toddler sister just to do his work is astounding. It isn't even homework; he just has to file it up and continue next week! I really wonder where he got the immense drive that is beyond self-discipline. It's true desire to learn. Sometimes I wonder if I was ever like this and if so, when was it that I lost that endearing value.

Kids really remind us of the best things about being human that we often forget and I love that I'm around them so much it's hard for me to forget :)

squeaked.
9:39 PM
0 comments

Sharman LAI
26 October 1992

Juying Primary School
River Valley High School
NTU Psychology

I run, I sing, I write.

-


Love, and you will be loved.
Sharman
Squeak along

Exits
Jhosy; Kevin; Li Ting; Lynette; MinEe; RVNPS307; SinYee; WenYi; YunRou;
Archives

blogger counter
visits since 08.01.10